Monday, July 18, 2011

Easy Rider

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. 
Albert Einstein

After biking almost 80 km around town, mainly to the gym and back, I peddled in a designated bike lane for the first time this evening. What a treat! I just wish they were not such a rarity among my hometown's streets. Oh well, I will count my blessings for the ones that do exist.

Next Day Update:

 After my ode to bike lanes in yesterday's blog, today's editorial cartoon in the Toronto Star newspaper presents a sad commentary on the future of the city's bike lanes under its new, conservative, mayor.  Meanwhile, city hall in my hometown is nixing development of mass transit. Obviously, cars still rule the roads at a price of $1.30 for a litre of gas, but how long can we afford not to support alternatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment