Sunday, June 26, 2011

All Things Divine

All things are implicated with one another, and the bond is holy; and there is hardly anything unconnected with any other things. For things have been co-ordinated, and they combine to make up the same universe. For there is one universe made up of all things, and one god who pervades all things, and one substance, and one law, and one reason.
Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor (121-180 A.D.)

 
Before and after raising to the imperial throne, Marcus Aurelius studied and lived his life according to Stoic philosophy, writing his thoughts about life and death in his Meditations, a text read by all Classics students, philosophically bent or not. Philosophical arguments can make my head spin, but I clicked with Aurelius and the Stoics who believe that each of us shares a spark of divinity within us and, if only for this reason, we should respect one another, even in our enemies . . . I mean those we despise

Roman philosophy met with reggae music in our very traditional church sanctuary of wooden pews and stained glass windows as the minister incorporated a very non-traditional music video into her sermon. Victor Wooten's philosophy and upbeat music resonated with me so I thought I would pass it on.


"I saw God the other day. She looked like me. He looked like you."

No comments:

Post a Comment