Sunday, August 2, 2020

Staycation | Day 4

The best travel is that which one can take by one's own fireside. In memory or imagination. 
George Eliot (aka Mary Ann Evans), English novelist, poet, journalist, and translator (1819-1880) in Letters from George Eliot to Elma Stuart, 1872-1880 (ed. 1909)

I am channeling Italian porticoes and sunshine as I tele-transport myself to Italy during my 2020 staycation.

Context Travel, which (speaking from experience) offers great tours in Europe, has pivoted during these staycation times to offer internet lectures. Its recent posting for "The American Renaissance" evoked a visceral response in my being. How I long to step into that 19th-century "Italian dream"! To take breakfast in the loggia as John Singer Sargent has captured here.

For myself, I conjure up a 4pm aperitivo, trying different recipes each day and I relish my apricot torta with my morning coffee in the garden. And I will find the shelved CD of "Enchanted April". That will certainly sing to my soul.

What would we do if we didn't have our imaginations?!

1 comment:

  1. "What would we do if we didn't have our imaginations?!"
    Someone would be sure to create a Google 'extension'....

    ReplyDelete