Friday, August 14, 2020

Rock On

Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the beautiful is dead.

Benjamin Disraeli, British politician and Prime Minister (1804–1881) in Lord George Bentinck. A Political Biography (1852)

Music and the garden – music in the garden – have carried me through these upturned times. As I wrote to a friend, "1 Negroni, 1 Beethoven, 2 Schuberts, a robin and a couple of sparrows and I am completely calm" after a stressful day at the Home Office. Throughout the summer I have relished a virtual feast of melodious sustenance. This evening I caught an on-line flamenco concert while contemplating the flourishing baskets of flaming geraniums and catching the sight and trills of a female cardinal high in a distant pine tree. Beauty lives on. Rock on. Olé!

1 comment: