Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Lest We Forget

In Flanders’ fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row, 
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard among the guns below. 

Col. John McCrae, Canadian poet, physician and WWI soldier, In Flanders Fields (1872-1918) 


My boss gifted me with a beautiful poppy broach made by an Indigenous artist of red and black beads, porcupine quills and leather.

You might notice that the edging of the poppy includes one bead, different from the others. As the artist, Marissa Magneson, wrote: This is a spirit bead. Spirit beads are intentionally placed to recognize that everyone makes mistakes, but it is important to embrace these imperfections as they make us human.”

I will treasure this broach and honour its many meanings.

1 comment:

  1. ...and Ginko leaves on the paper in the background if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if there's significance there too ?

    ReplyDelete