Thursday, November 21, 2019

Building Bridges


Men build too many walls and not enough bridges.
Joseph Fort Newton, American Baptist minister (1880–1950)

Following a thought-provoking and heartrending three-day symposium examining artistic responses to the migration crisis, my key learning is the imperative to make human-to-human connections to dispel fear and build empathy.

I was filled with pride for the organization I work for in bringing together Pulitzer Prize photographs, the newly released film Hearts and Bones, journalists, dancers, writers, Indigenous activists, political scientists and front-line humanitarians to share experiences and ideas for strengthening the connectedness of humanity. Connectedness will stand strong against those who empower themselves by enflaming fear and building walls. As Portuguese statesman, Antonio Guterres has warned, “As a global community, we face a choice. Do we want migration to be a source of prosperity and international solidarity, or a byword for inhumanity and social friction?”

My experience this week leads me to seek out connections and to build my own small bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment