Thursday, June 21, 2012

Library Appreciation

Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.
The Whole Earth Catalog (1980)

Between the on-line catalog and reservation system and the breadth of literature available, our local library system continually amazes me. Having lived in countries that do not provide their citizens with similar open access to knowledge, I know how lucky I am to have this precious -- and free -- resource. Whether I've wanted a how-to manual, a historical commentary, or a novel, the library has provided it. I just opened The Paris Wife by Paula McLain tonight and I'm captivated by the tale of Hadley and Ernest. Thanks to the public library I am treated to a fascinating journey to 1920s Paris for no cost. Can't beat that value!

No comments:

Post a Comment