Sunday, February 26, 2012

Old as Time

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie, British author (1890–1976)

Chatting with one of the young archaeologists newly appointed to the Roman bath site over "second breakfast" of tea and tamayya sandwiches, she asked me how long I had been studying pottery. Remembering the first evening class in pottery drawing in an old house near the university that had been converted into an archaeological lab was easy, acknowledging that it was more than thirty years ago was not. How had so many years passed?! Considering that my companion was not yet thirty, I was as old as time itself; perhaps in her eyes I am as much a relic as the Roman amphorae that I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment