Friday, February 24, 2012

No Worries Here

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

I arrived an hour early for the service at the lovely Church of St. John the Baptist in Maadi. Opening the pew Bible I found myself reading the message, "Don't worry." Thank you, God. After a thoughtful sermon, full of rainbows, promises and caring for our allies in creation, I ventured out from the peaceful calm of the church into the chaotic vibrancy of Cairo's markets, my aide-de-camp assuring me we could accomplish everything on the list in the five hours before heading to the airport for my return flight to Luxor.

Even after 16 years of exploring the nooks and crannies of this incredible city, I am introduced to wonderful new, I mean old, areas. Today we happened to drive through el Souq el Itneen and I had to stop to buy some lemons and grapefruit.

I think artichokes are incredibly beautiful, like exotic flowers. I think of them as an expensive treat, yet here in Cairo they are for sale along the side of high traffic routes and at local markets in the city's poorer districts. Although I love to eat them, I have yet to try to cook them myself, so today I just admired their beauty.

The colourful carts that ply the street markets selling refreshments and snacks to weary shoppers, such as this one selling chick peas in a paper cone, are always a cheery sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment