Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Light Within

A light is gleaming, spreading its arms throughout the night
Living in the light. Come share its gladness,
Love's radiant light is burning bright. Living in the light.

So let us live in the brightness God has giv'n,
And let us rise to see the dawn.
We trust a light within, a sparkle and a blaze,
Warming all our days.
Linnea Good, Canadian singer and song writer, in the hymn "A Light is Gleaming"

As we gathered on New Year's Day to celebrate Epiphany Sunday, our minister asked how many of us had made New Year's resolutions. Not a single hand was raised. Although I have a few (well, maybe more than a few) 'leftover' resolutions from last year, my own hands stayed firmly planted in my lap out of fear that I would have to reveal my good intentions and thereby be held accountable to actually do them. I could envision being asked each Sunday, "So, Shari, how many times did you go to the gym this week?"

With no resolutions proffered by the congregation, our minister then revealed that she had "tricked" us all into making one very important resolution at the commencement of the service when we had recited a Wesleyan New Year Covenant. This resolution is easier said than done, but in resolving to trust the light within, I felt hope and comfort.
I am no longer my own but yours, O God.
Your will, not mine, be done in all things:
wherever you may place me,
in all that I do and in all that I may endure;
when there is work for me and when there is none;
when I am troubled and when I am at peace.
Your will be done when I am valued and when I am disregarded;
when I find fulfillment and when it is lacking;
when I have all things and when I have nothing.
I willingly offer all that I have and am to serve you as and where you choose.
Glorious and blessed Triune God,
Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer,
you are mine and I am yours.
May it be so forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment