Saturday, October 8, 2011

Where are You, Brother?

Forever on Thanksgiving Day
The heart will find the pathway home.
Wilbur D. Nesbit, American poet (1871-1927)

In the days of yore, each family member had a role to play in the turkey dinners of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dad was in charge of the turkey, the kids were responsible for making bread crumbs for the dressing, and Mom was in charge of everything else. ;-) The night before the big event, my brother and I would sit at the kitchen table with a bag of Wonder Bread, breaking each slice into bits. I missed him today as I sat with the loaf, making much smaller 'crumbs' (I'm told) than as a youngster. As I write, Dad is turning the bread into his famous dressing, of which there is never enough. It is heart-warming to relive the old rituals.

And because I love my brother, even if he's not there to help with the dressing, I made a lemon meringue pie as an alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie. I'm such a good sister. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment