Saturday, October 22, 2011

For Love (and Chocolate)

Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Author Unknown

This is how it all started. I could immerse myself in today's chocolate dough. I came across this recipe on the Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker blog and reading her story I knew I had to try Aunt Viola's cookies because I related to the story of childhood raids of Christmas cookies stored in the family freezer. I snarfed countless chocolate macaroons from the depths of the chest freezer weeks before holiday guests came to visit. Nor was my brother an innocent bystander, even though he may try to convince our mother otherwise.

The first batch turned out pretty good, although not quite as illustrated on the original recipe. Oh well, in my imagination they look like chocolate snow-covered mountains. For the second batch I thought a little more chocolate was required . . .


So I added some white chocolate boulders to the mountain and crowned each with a heart. You might have guessed that these will be taken to the bridal shower, although I could say that the hearts represent a love of chocolate.


Chocolate Cookies with Boiled Butter Frosting
Makes: about 30 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
1 - 8 oz bag white chocolate chips, optional

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat sugar, egg, milk and vanilla together.
3. Sift flour, salt, cocoa and soda together and add.
4. Melt shortening and add last. Beat until smooth. If desired, add white chocolate chips.
5. Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Frosting:
(Makes enough frosting for 2 batches of cookies.)

Ingredients:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Boil sugar, butter, milk and salt vigorously.
2. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla and powdered sugar.
3. For firmer frosting, wait for about 1 hour. Spoon frosting onto cookies.

Source: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker blog

No comments:

Post a Comment