Thursday, August 18, 2011

Perhaps the Prettiest Town in Ontario

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
Henry David Thoreau

Niagara-on-the-Lake is a lovely town, preserving centuries-old charm along its quiet streets and park. There is something about a white picket fence that warms my soul.

Meanwhile, shopping warms my pocketbook. The home of a summer theatre festival honouring George Bernard Shaw attracts millions of visitors particularly on beautiful summer days such as we had today, yet crowds were absent today and Mom and I had fun walking along the main street, checking out the shops, and finding unique treasures. (Dad enjoyed his walk along the lake.) Its century-old homes, tree-shaded streets, and profuse florals lend credence to its moniker as the prettiest town in Ontario, although I do know of some other deserving communities.

Just outside of town we dropped into de Luca's Wine Country Restaurant for an elegantly casual lunch. For a year, I have wanted to taste the creations of Chef de Luca, known for his locally-sourced Niagara cuisine and I wasn't disappointed. In-season blueberries topped the cheesecake that was founded on a crust infused with rosemary (I think). Scrumptious. Our lunch and the trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake made for a special treat.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Niagara...did you get the link to the article about the Upper Falls Bridge that I left in my Dropbox folder ?

    (Sent via your Lycos mail address)

    ReplyDelete