Saturday, August 27, 2011

Not Like Grandma

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either.
Elizabeth Zimmerman, knitting teacher par excellence (1910–1999)

In a bag, in the closet, lies a sweater unfinished after I hit a snag understanding the pattern and couldn't figure out how to proceed; so there it waits, seemingly abandoned . . . but perhaps there is hope thanks to YouTube.

Yesterday I began knitting a pair of 'granny' slippers -- a simple project, I thought, until this evening when I hit a snag; a 'ssk' snag to be exact. I read the pattern's instructions but knew I needed someone to show me how to do a 'ssk' (slip, slip, knit together) and was impatient to learn it now. Nothing can be more immediate than the Internet, so I searched and, lo and behold, found a 'ssk' video on YouTube. And then, after hitting another snag and found a W&T video, I had an epiphany: YouTube will solve my sweater problem. Knitting slippers over a laptop may seem incongruous but felicity -- and hope for the abandoned sweater -- have been achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment