Sunday, December 1, 2019

Sew Day

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus, French Algerian philosopher, and Nobel-prize author (1913–1960)

One of the familial expressions that guided my upbringing is “Discretion is the better part of valour.” I wondered about its origins today as I wrote to cancel a meeting due to an ice storm that’s hitting the city. With icy streets, it’s best to be sensibly safe than imprudently perilous. Google revealed that Shakespeare’s coward Falstaff is the first to use the expression in Henry IV, Part I. In fact, he says “The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life.” While Shakespeare may have intended the expression to be tongue-in-cheek, I am very happy to be sitting in my rocking chair looking out the glacial windows.

An email arrived later in the morning from one of our favourite quilt shops to alert customers that it has closed today due to the icy roads and freezing rain. They urged, “Make it a SEW day!” I heartily approve the resolution as I continue to be warmed by the sight of the 350 “fabric hugs” created by the St. John ‘Sew & Sews’ for shut-ins and others needing comfort. The sanctuary overflowed with their display before being distributed to seniors homes, a hospice and children’s aid society. Their care and concern for others uplifts my heart.

1 comment:

  1. The combined warmth of your words and the image of the quilts are causing the ice to melt...

    ReplyDelete