Friday, December 6, 2019

Delusions of Childhood

Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveler, thousand of miles away, back to his own fireside and his quiet home!
Charles Dickens in The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club (1836)

The department store’s Christmas windows set a smile as they carried me back to the delusions of my childish days. Jolly snowpeople making snow angels as the made-to-order snow filled freight cars in the background brought a smile to young and old. This ‘delusional’ moment of childish joy was worth the detour from the usual journey home to The Hudson’s Bay Company store.

Having made my way back to my quiet abode my only regret is that, try as I might, I couldn’t budge any of the handsome soldiers guarding the windows off their mounts to carry one home to SIL.

I am all in favour of reviving delusions of childhood. In fact, I plan to make a snow angel at the very next opportunity – which might be this weekend. Stay tuned. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment