Saturday, August 16, 2014

Rainy Afternoon in the Vineyard

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin, American writer, inventor, scientist and statesman (1705-1790)

In your mind's eye, imagine a gaggle of black umbrellas huddled in the midst of row upon row of vines that arch over a small hill that descends into the watery distance. This was the view shared this afternoon with my cousin over a lunch at the Ravine Vineyard in Niagara. The rainy day did not deter visitors; the restaurant buzzed with animated voices. So as the rain descended from heaven onto the stunning landscape of vines, we enjoyed the view, the food and the chat. The suggested pairing for my lunch of mussels was the Chardonnay from their Sand and Gravel line. It was certainly unique to find sparkling sand at the bottom of my glass. As I came to learn, in generations past the family sold these earthly commodities before the production of Niagara grapes and their vintages realized their value.

In addition to producing some tasty vintages, their restaurant produces some fine vittles. Dessert is a must in our family, even if we don't finish our lunch. ;-) I have it on good authority that the Strawberry Pistachio Cobbler with a spoonful of buttermilk ice cream was delicious.

And the presentation of my Coffee Crinkle Caramel Ice Cream Sammy was outstanding.

So on some future rainy afternoon, I will meander through a vineyard in my mind's eye, as I sit in my rocking chair quaffing something sparkly -- like rain on sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon. The sparkling conversation and cheery sunflowers definitely brightened the rainy day.

    Stacey

    P.S. Please tell me I left my pizza in your car and not on the table. ;)

    ReplyDelete