Friday, December 21, 2012

Laughing Chickens

Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe,
Help to make the season bright.
Mel Tormé and Bob Wells in "The Christmas Song" (1944)

Running across the muddy parking lot of my favourite poultry purveyor, carrying the Christmas turkey in my arms, I caught sight of a congress of roosters and hens running towards me through the field of tall grass. They scurried down into the ditch and up again and ran across the gravel, coming to a halt outside the purveyor's door. Their appearance surprised me because they have never been around during my other numerous forays here to purchase chicken. Then I realized: these roosters and hens have no fear at this time of year. It's their cousins, the geese and turkeys, that need to keep a low profile. The chickens are cackling with yuletide joy.

In the jolly spirit of the chickens, I leave you with Mr. Bean and his Christmas turkey:


No comments:

Post a Comment