Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Problem Solving

"One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment . . . ; If it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along."
US President Franklin D. Roosevelt counselling Frances Perkins, his Secretary of Labor (1933-1945)

I have unofficially called quilt number two the "Houston, we have a problem" quilt. Problem solving has led to its 'organic' development.

At inception, this baby was conceived as a quilt back; later I decided it was too lovely not to be seen, so it evolved into a quilt top. Then, after completing the machine quilting of the main body, I spread it out for a good look only to find that it was much larger than the lap quilt I had planned and it was just a few inches too short to cover a double bed. So after consultations, it was decided that another border could be added to make up the shortfall. As a result, the 'lap quilt' has become a 'bed quilt'. And now, just as I was about to cheer that the hand quilting of its inner wave border is complete, I saw that my backing fabric will be less than an inch too short on one side to accommodate the proposed new border. Groan. Mom has come to the rescue with a solution (thanks Mom!) and so work continues. Stay tuned.

1 comment: