Thursday, September 29, 2011

Inspired

Inspiration doesn't really work like that - you're not looking out for it. Inspiration is something that tends to capture you rather than you capture it.
Joan Armatrading, British singer and songwriter


I wasn't looking for inspiration but I was captured this evening as I happened upon this video of Matt Cutts (a Google geek) encouraging folks to change their lives by taking a 30-day challenge. I felt energized by the idea of doing something -- but what?

I would love to challenge myself to write a novel, but I'm not yet ready for 1600+ words per day. I have heard of other people who have gone without sugar for 30 days, but that would really put a dint in my enjoyment of life. I could challenge myself to ride my bike every day, but that didn't feel like enough of a personal stretch.

Then, on Matt's blog, I came upon the challenge of writing a letter, with pen on paper, to connect with people who have made a difference in my life. This is a perfect personal challenge because I am very bad at keeping in contact with friends and colleagues even though I do think of them often and, for whatever reason, the act of writing with a pen on paper seems far more personal and meaningful than sending the same words via an email. So I am all set for October 1st; but first, tomorrow's challenge is to find some beautiful letter writing paper (for inspiration).

No comments:

Post a Comment