Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lest We Forget

It takes courage to behave honourably.


Just before 11am, children from a nearby grade school lined up on the sidewalk beside the busy road. They held large paper poppies and waved Canadian flags. Somewhere in the background a piper played. Their small presentation brought tears to my eyes because there stood the future that was only possible because of sacrifices made in the past.

Quite possibly every family has been touched by wars. My connections include Great Uncle Arthur, left, who I never met because he died at Vimy Ridge when he was only 16 years old. On the right is my beloved grandfather, who modelled for me the values of family, honour, and doing your best. Like many soldiers, he never talked much about his experiences. His silence spoke volumes. There are so many who served and are remembered, now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment