Monday, August 10, 2015

Celebrating Backwards and Forwards

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
William Shakespeare (1564-1616) in The Merchant of Venice

I am blessed for all the mirth and laughter around the table this evening celebrating my birthday with family. Do birthdays celebrate the year past or the year ahead? I've thought of it as the latter but with this birthday I feel like I am celebrating both faces of Janus. The previous 365 days have had their ups and downs and yet I can raise a toast and bid adieu with a smile. I also toast whatever lies ahead in the next 365 days with a promise to myself to manage (and maybe learn from) the bad and to revel in the good with exuberance.

I decided to celebrate throughout the day. Taking a vacation day from work meant that I could sleep in (after getting up to feed Cat her breakfast at the appointed hour of 5am, without which there would be no further rest). I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast coffee before (gasp) taking Stealth out for her first road trip of the year to the bayfront where I could sit under a tree, sip a coffee, breath in the soft watery air and listen to the quiet dives of cormorants fishing for their lunch. Heavenly. Then I followed Cat's example and luxuriated in an afternoon nap before getting ready for dinner. It was a wonderful celebration.

So Salute! to the past year and Cheers! to that which lies ahead.


1 comment:

  1. Your fond heart travels forward and backward.

    ReplyDelete