Monday, January 14, 2013

The Go Shuffle

As Harvard University psychologist Daniel Gilbert argues, "You can't adapt to commuting, because it's entirely unpredictable. Driving in traffic is a different kind of hell every day."
Tom Vanderbilt, American author in Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

And so the commute begins. Door-to-door it works out to be two hours travel time each way, almost to the minute. This time of year there isn't much to see out the window during those hours because it's dark out, going and returning. But I could see the string of red tail lights of the cars heading into the city and I was so very thankful to be on the train and not caught up in the angst of rush-hour driving.

Mine is a long journey, but painless. I can sip my coffee, read the news and write a few emails on the way to work. The return trip did remind me of my days commuting in Cairo squished cheek-by-jowl in the women's Metro car. However, everything is much cleaner here and, in some wonder of Canadian physics, no one touched their neighbouring commuter even though we were crammed into the car.

And the job? It's great! The boss and my new colleagues are an amazingly talented and friendly group of people. To have the opportunity to work with them I am happy doing the Go shuffle to the big Tee-Oh.

2 comments:

  1. From the sounds of it all you'll be as close to Egypt as you can possibly get in Canada. Your description makes working from home sound like a stressful chore. So cheers to longer days, an eventual view from the train and sight of a distant and slowly compressing 'spring' that will put an extra bounce in your shoes.

    todays word: ftiveevel
    those didn't work solets try: stitese

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my sleepy state, I see a fit weevil doing striptease. ;-)

    ReplyDelete