Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Art of Chickens

If I didn't start painting, I would have raised chickens.
Grandma Moses (aka Anna Mary Robertson Moses), American folk artist (1860–1961)

The Time Traveller treated me to a day at the fair. Not just any fair, but the grand-daddy of them all in these parts: the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, inaugurated in 1922. It runs from November 2nd until the 11th. Today was selected so that we wouldn't miss the "Poultry Show" because the Time Traveller is quite enamoured with Rhode Island Reds and Muskovy ducks. How can I fault him when I took well over 80 pictures of the chickens, ducks, and geese. The artistry of their plumage was so striking in design and colour.

Just check out those boots!

And the bustle on this turkey!

And I love the colours in of the Polish cockerel's jacket and his matching cap. Stunning!

More subdued in looks and demeanor is this white crested couple, but they were so sweet curled up together that I had to take their photo too. Actually, they remind me of Albert Einstein.

The other exhibits provided lots of interesting info and free food samples. We came home with a bag of big P.E.I. potatoes and a bag of carrots. The most exciting event, however, took place in the Coliseum where we watched a few of the horse competitions. The massive Scottish Clydesdales have always awed me but to see their powerful bodies gracefully prance around the ring added to their impressiveness. As if designed to accentuate the contrast, the Clysdesdales followed the Roadster Pony competition. The difference in size couldn't have been greater, but the Roadster Ponies were just as impressive.

We had a great time and came away impressed with the agricultural achievements of the homeland. It's well worth the price of admission. Thanks TT!

Update
A friend followed up on my mention of the Clydesdales, writing:

When I saw your reference to the Clydesdale horses it reminded me of a radio programme that was broadcast quite a few years ago about a couple who 'relocated' their stock of Clydesdales from the Isle of Skye (Scotland) to Cumbria (The Lake District) by riding / walking / ferrying the horses the entire journey ! Sadly, the programme seems to have disappeared from the BBC archives, but I managed to find a magazine article about the adventure:

http://lancashire.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/cumbrian-heavy-horses--the-couple-who-relocated-themselves-and-12-clydesdale-horses-29140/

I have now added the Cumbrian Heavy Horse Centre to my bucket list. What a fabulous experience that would be, to ride one of those wonderful animals!

3 comments:

  1. Having seen those feathers I gave into my crystal balll and see a quilt pattern manifesting itself in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. must show Alex these birdies...pmc

    ReplyDelete