Friday, October 19, 2012

Intersections

We live immersed in narrative, recounting and reassessing the meaning of our past actions, anticipating the outcome of our future projects, situating ourselves at the intersection of several stories not yet completed.
Peter Brooks, American writer in Reading for the Plot (1984)

This evening I settled into the rocking chair, adjusted the light, and concentrated my attention on a small sampler cushion cover that I'm working on to learn the trapunto quilting technique. Having chosen a Celtic interlace pattern for my project, I have to pay close attention to the intersections of the complex design.

My mind wandered, as it's apt to do, from the cloth to life. I thought about how my path has intersected with those of so many others. It's these intersections that have added so much texture to my life. I'm thinking a lot about this as I do my creative writing homework, narrating little life stories.

But this evening I was reminded that even the briefest crossings leave a mark in the warp and weft of the tapestries we all are weaving. Little interactions plant seeds. And so, without any conscious forethought but following a conversation months ago that just touched on Celtic quilting, I find myself doing just that. Wow. Would I be doing this sampler not having had the conversation? Who knows? But I'm certainly thankful for that little intersection.

I'll keep you posted on how the project turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment