Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Uniquely Canadian

Red meat and gin.
Julia Child, American chef and author (1912–2004), providing the reasons for her longevity.

I’m an apprentice of the spirit of Julia Child, and I certainly enjoy my G&Ts on warm afternoons. A chance conversation introduced me to a gin that found inspiration in the Canadian north. Thoroughly intrigued by the listed ingredients I carried a bottle home from my western wanderings and had the opportunity to taste it this evening.

Ungava gin boasts Nordic juniper, Labrador tea, crowberry, cloudberry and wild rose hip that produce a gentle and refreshing flavour that needs nothing more than tonic to carry it. The mildness of its flavour belies its 43% alcohol content.

I foretell a future television ad similar to that of the Tetley Red Rose tea commercials of the 1970s: “Only in Canada you say? . . . Pity.” ;-)

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Now there's a shattered illusion - I thought Tetley Tea was an exclusively UK item...complete with it's own cast of cartoon characters !
    It's enough to drive anyone to drink - especially in this heat...
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I need HELP from all my kind Canadian readers (over the age of 30). What tea promoted itself as ONLY IN CANADA in a TV commercial that we all mimicked as kids? An internet search confirms that the Tetley brothers opened their business in England in 1837. My memory has failed me completely. I am going to drown my sorrows in a G&T -- after which I won't be concerned that I can't remember anything. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Further to my original comment:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IccsU45CD0o

    ReplyDelete
  3. YouTube also solved my memory issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWBaNQxVWI
    The commercials are a trip down memory lane -- though the math of how many years have passed is scarry.

    ReplyDelete