Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cookies Galore

If baking is any labor at all, it's a labor of love. A love that gets passed from generation to generation.
Regina Brett, American author

A lot of labour of love has been happening in the family kitchens as mom and I baked up dozens of cookies for the church's annual Mistletoe Bazaar. I think we did my maternal grandmother proud as she was the prodigious Christmas cookie baker whose footsteps we follow.

The bazaar has concluded with another successful fundraising result. I thought I would share the cookies baked by mom and I for the Cookie Walk. This post will help me remember what we produced and what sold well when we plan for next year.

A treat from cookbooks of the 1970s, Haystacks were made the night before the bazaar. I needed to redeem myself after first making them with uncooked chow mein noodles. They tasted delicious but I feared people would crack their teeth on their crunch. A much better result was achieved with fried noodles, but they were not a big seller.

The other last minute cookie, Ginger Lemon Creams, for which I don't have a photo, attracted much better attention. Another cookie lacking a photo are the Double Chocolate Merlot Cookies that appeared in an earlier post. Regrettably, I didn't separate each layer of cookies with waxed paper and they stuck together. This probably accounts for the abundance remaining. But they taste wonderful! Lesson learned for next year.

There was not one Toffee Triangle left at the end of the day.

Surprising there were about a dozen Hershey Kiss cookies remaining -- but mom probably made six dozen. These were a real favourite with the kids.

My Chocolate Crinkles went out onto the Cookie Walk table late in the day so that may account for the half box remaining.

Next year I must remember to cut the Raspberry Pinwheels thicker, then there won't be any left.

The Mincemeat Scrolls were so easy to make with prepared puff pastry and sold well.

The Figgy Orange Pinwheels have a yummy flavour but there were a lot leftover. I guess figs are not a crowd pleaser.

Nothing was left of the Cranberry Shortbread though.

Nor of the Triple PB Love cookies. I never did find lime jelly for a second batch so that will be on the list for trying next year.

The Shortbread Balls were a big hit.

The bin of Whipped Shortbread emptied. A friend provided me with its recipe telling me that they're a big hit at her church bazaar so they're proven twice over.

The Mincemeat Spice Cookies were well received.

The Toasted Coconut Lime Shortbread sold best when decorated with green holiday sugar.

The Funfetti Cookies sold out. Must remember to hold back on the funfetti in the batter so that there is sufficent to decorate the tops.

Chocolate Chip cookies are a staple.

Festive Fruitcake Cookies are a favourite of mine. I don't recall any leftovers of these.

Fruit and Nut Refrigerator Cookies sold well too.

The Smarties Cookies sold very well. Another kid pleaser.

The Italian Almond cookies looked nice. I cannot recall how well they sold.

Christmas Buttons sold out.

These Thumbprint cookies are a keeper. Not one left of them.

The Hershey Kiss cookies came in green too.

I think the Checkboards sold out. They were quite small and fit nicely to fill the little gaps between the bigger cookies in shopper's boxes.

The Cookie Walk tables were bountiful with an amazing assortment donated by numerous people in the church, including some who don't like to bake. All in all we can be proud of the results. For me, the baking created a connection to my grandmother and the love she put into her baking. It was a labour of love and I look forward to next year.


3 comments:

  1. Grandma would have been so pleased to know that her labours of love were and still are truly appreciated. You made her proud.
    AS
    P.S.- Do you make up 'care' packages too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About those leftovers...no, there are probably export/import regulations that would get in the way - drat !

    However:
    "My Chocolate Crinkles went out onto the Cookie Walk table late in the day so that may account for the half box remaining"
    ...sounds like a bit of 'tactics' ;0)

    What a wonderful selection - you must both be exhausted

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, really wow..that is an amazing array of cookies. congratualations on a job well done. Dinis is licking his lips and wishing for some. :)
    pmc

    ReplyDelete